PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to COVID-19 virus, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us via telephone or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.

Your Family Matters

Enforce Child Support Payments

On Behalf of | Feb 25, 2019 | Child Support

The amount of child support payments not paid each year is staggering. The U.S. Census Bureau reported that 30.7% of child support was not paid in 2015 and 25.8% of non-custodial parents made partial payments.

Even with a court order or formal agreement, a parent can find himself or herself frustrated when trying to collect child support. A family law attorney can help you if your ex doesn’t pay child support.

You can file a petition to enforce child support with the court. Your local child support enforcement office can also use the following administrative remedies:

  1. Withhold federal tax refunds and Apply those funds to unpaid child support
  2. Garnish wages from the payor’s paychecks
  3. Seize property
  4. Suspend an occupational license
  5. Suspend a business license
  6. Revoke the delinquent payor’s driver’s license
  7. Deny issuance of a passport to someone who owes more than $2,500 in child support

Important Facts To Know

Past Payments: If a pay0r finds him or herself behind in payments, called “in arrears,” he or she can ask a judge for a reduction of child support payments. However, only future payments can be reduced, and the pay0r is obligated to pay past due child support in full.

Bankruptcy: Child support debt can’t be discharged by bankruptcy because of the public policy preventing parents from using bankruptcy as a way to avoid supporting their children.

Out of State: The Child Support Recovery Act of 1992 makes it a federal crime for a parent to refuse to pay child support to a parent living in another state. Congress also passed the Deadbeat Parents Punishment Act of 1998, making it a felony for a parent to refuse to pay child support to a parent living in another state.

The Law Offices of Joseph H. Nivin is on your side and can help you to enforce child support payments. Contact us today.